Tuesday 21 November 2017

Lament

I've recorded a new piece! It's a short sad cello solo called 'Lament'.

The composition itself isn't really new: I wrote it way back in 2001. However, I never managed to record it to my own satisfaction and thus never published it online. After all these years I've now finally managed to make a recording that I'm happy with. It's not perfect of course, but I finally dare publish it and share the sheet music.



In case anyone wants to give it a try, here's the sheet music:

I found another recording I made of this one from 2010. I wasn't happy with it back then and indeed, listening to it now makes me realise that I did get quite a bit better at recording my cello since then. Part of that is in technique, like having a better microphone, using a clicktrack and stitching together recordings to combine the best parts from several recordings. But I can also hear that I have more control of my cello now: especially my vibrato get better and there's less unwanted noises in my recordings now. I've been playing cello since I was a kid back in 1992 and it's really nice to hear that I'm still getting better at it by practising a lot in my spare time.

No comments:

Post a Comment